Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Staycation

Since Dave has so much vacation time and never seems to be able to use it all, he decided to take off the 15th through the 23rd for some much needed time around the house and quality family time. Though I was very excited and extremely ambitious in planning local fun things to do and renaming his time off a Staycation, he took be back down to reality and reminded me he took the time off to relax and get some stuff done around the house. Therefore, we planned a couple things here and there instead.

On Saturday the 15th, a trip to upstate NY had been planned for quite some time to see John and Courtney and the boys and then spend the night at Steve and Sandy's and get a double visit in. The overnight fell through and then it became a quick day trip, 3 hours up, 3 hours back. Hayley got a fever earlier in the week and was very irritable and fussy so I took her to the doctor. Not much to say, really, except the only thing it could be was Roseola, which is a 3-5 day virus with a rash the last day. Needless to say, fear of giving this to another child, plus traveling with a cranky child nixed that trip pretty quickly. Oh, also, my Dad arrived for a weekend visit with Grandpa on Friday, so we got to see him, too. So instead, Dave got a door hung in the basement with the trip, etc, and it looks fantastic and I am so proud of him. This basement will be finished by the end of the year, he says. And I think he just might do it.

Sunday we went to Deep River and had lunch with Dad and Grandpa and then brought him back to the airport in the evening. We went to bed pretty early in anticipation for our trip to Six Flags planned for Monday.

So yes, on the hottest day of the summer, we actually trekked our way to Six Flags and oh my gosh, it was hot hot hot hot! Not to mention the place was absolutely packed and well, it was just too crowded. You couldn't get on any of the rides because the lines were so long and the "Flash Pass" turned out to be a waste of money because it didn't help. But Hayley got to ride on a couple baby rides and she seemed to really enjoy it. They also had fountains that sprayed water up in the kiddie areas, and she loved to walk through that - of course, I had to go with her so I got soaked as well. I think I was dry again in 5 minutes! It felt so good! Mom came with us and so Dave and I got to spend some alone time while she took Hayley around, which was very nice, too. Overall, it was a fun day, but exhausting. She was such a trooper. No afternoon nap, and didn't whine, cry, or even fuss all day. We are so lucky to have such a great baby. We managed to get a few pictures of her on some rides.

How funny to see a wee thing on such a big horse, but she loved the carousel. My mom stood beside her and held her the whole time, of course, but she did well!
Don't think she was a fan of Pepe Le Pew!
This is the three of us in one of those old fashioned cars. This was the only picture my mom got, and I know, it's terrible, but still thought it was so funny. My goofy smile and Dave slouching to fit into it.
Splashing around in the fountains

Mom and Hayley riding some kiddie ride

As for the rest of this week, this afternoon we will swim in our little pool in the yard, or possibly go to a town one. Tomorrow we are heading to Mystic Aquarium. Friday is a very full day with Sarah and I getting our birthday mani/pedi's and then Dave's work picnic. And then comes Saturday...bum bum bum...I turn the big 3-0! I am so ready! Dave goes back to work on Monday, and I'm sure Hayley and I will both be sad and miss him so much. And vice versa. We'll enjoy it while it lasts, though!

No comments: