Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Trejan: In Memorium


This morning we woke as if it was just another day. Dave went off to work and Hayley woke up extra early and I put her down for an early nap around 8 a.m. Then everything changed. My mother called me to tell me Trejan was sick and she was driving him to the vet here in Middletown for emergency surgery because his abdomen was very swollen, he was vomiting, and he couldn't walk or hold his head up. I told her to keep me posted and called Dave to let him know. About 15 minutes later, my mom called again from her cell to tell me she pulled over because she heard him make a noise in the back and that he had died. Shock to say the least was how I felt. Sadness, shock, frustration, shock.

It's no secret that Trejan was Dave's dog. I didn't hide my frustrations about him and that he got on my nerves a lot and it was my push to get him to move to Mom's in January. But I did love him, and knowing he is gone, I am overcome with sadness and a feeling of loss. Once he did move there, we all realized that not only were we much happier with the situation, that he, too, was much happier there. He had Opus to keep him company, he had the woods and the outdoors. He loved swimming in the pond - he went in every day this summer. He was so happy. He didn't let his blindness bring him down, he still found joy in life. He slept on Mom's bed with her and Pops, he ran through the woods with Opus, he loved riding in the truck with Pops when he went out in the woods to get wood. And this was all while being a blind dog.

Before he moved to The Big House, he was Dave's dog. They had a special bond that existed way before I came in to the picture. Man, did he love that guy. Those two were so attached. They both took the expression "Man's Best Friend" literally. I am so sad that this has happened to us, to Dave especially. He has lost a dear friend today. Losing a pet is like losing a family member. I have lost many dogs in my life, and all of them have been full of sadness, but well prepared, because of old age. Trejan was 6 years old, and it was so unexpected, words can not even explain our sorrow.

We buried Trejan under the Rose of Sharon tree in the backyard of The Big House. He lies next to Sean, Rudy, and Melrose. We memorialized him this afternoon by all saying a few words; me, Dave, Mom, Pops, Antina, and Nova. Opus lied down on the ground beside him, knowing he has lost his friend. I know you are up in doggie heaven now playing with your toys. Rest in Peace Trey.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These words and these photos are extremely moving to us over here in the Big House.
Thank you for putting this all into words for all of us.
Trejan got more of a memorial than all of the other dogs that went before him. You go Trey. You were a good boy and a great pal to OPUS. We will never forget your exuberance.
m and p

Stephanie said...

My heart goes out to your and your family. Losing a dog is the same as losing part of your heart and soul. Take care, friends.

Anonymous said...

Being a dog owner for the first time in my life, I can't imagine how I would deal with this if it were my dog. Your blog was so sad. I am sad for both of you.
Ann