Monday, February 8, 2010

Last Week

Last week was a tough one. On Saturday, as we were converting Hayley's crib into her toddler bed, my mother called. This is not uncommon, for her phone calls come about 5 times a day, but this one was different. She told me that Grandma had died. I immediately got in the car and met her down at Aaron Manor, where Grandma lived, and my aunts and uncle showed up and we all said goodbye before they took her to the funeral home. It became a very long week ahead. Jacob flew in on Monday and all afternoon and evening, and all day Tuesday, me, mom, Jacob, and my aunts, prepared for Wednesday. There were so many old photos to sort through and pick out. I was amazed at how by the end, i was still confused at who everyone was, but Jacob could look at it and in a millisecond know - that's Grandma, that's Hazel, etc. He's always been good at stuff like that.

Though it was very nice to see Jacob, and it was the first time in years that it was just him without Asha or the kids, we had such a nice visit. But it was still sad for why he was there. Everyone came to her funeral. Emily took the train for 12 hours from Richmond because her car was under a foot of snow. My cousins all came from New Hampshire, who I hadn't seen in years. Again, nice to see everyone, but sad for why.

If losing Grandma last week has taught me anything, it is to not waste one more minute, and don't put off a visit until tomorrow. Mom took Hayley to see Grandma on Wednesday - they were her last visitors before she passed. I'm so glad she got to see her just one more time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your writing is beautiful.