Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Ferber Method - Day 2

Well we weren't sure if we were going to be able to continue this since Hayley was sick for my mom yesterday, but by the time we got home, she was happy as a clam and totally normal. So we did Day 2. I put her down as usual at 7:30 and she went right to sleep. She woke up about 8:00 and I went in and reasurred her. She cried for 5 minutes, check, 8 minutes, check, 10 minutes, didn't check because she was just about out. She probably didn't even need the check after the 8 minutes because she was quieting down, but I checked anyway and she calmed down soon afterward. She slept until 3:45 this morning! It is a record!!! Dave woke up at 3:30 and asked me if she'd been up yet, I said no. I had also slept through until then as well. Once she got up, though, she was happy and rested and not wanting to go back down. So I nursed her and when I put her back in the crib, she cried for about 5 minutes. I went back in and picked her up and nursed her again - I guess I was thinking she might still be hungry, and I guess she was b/c she nursed for 10 more minutes! Then I put her back in the crib, told her night-night and that I loved her, and she cried for about 3 minutes. Then she was out until 7:20 this morning.

Though I am thrilled that this is working, I just want to say, I know she won't remember, but emotionally it is heartbreaking that I have to listen to my daughter cry - even for 3 minutes. I feel hugely guilty that we did this to her and caused her to be so dependant on us to fall asleep and now she is being punished. It's not her fault, it's ours, but now she cries, not us. It just isn't right. I guess this is just something I need to get over as a parent...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!! Good job sticking to it, and she will not remember a thing:) They are so forgiving when they are young! Wait until she is 3- then she will remember EVERYTHING.