Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Yesterday and Today

Well, yesterday started out as a normal Tuesday. We got up and went to Breastfeeding group. We got home about 12:30 and I went upstairs to put Hayley to nap. I rocked her a bit and she fell right to sleep. I tipped her into my bed like I usually do and she immediately began to scream. I am not sure if something spooked her or what, but this certainly isn't normal. She then screamed bloody murder for 45 minutes straight. There was no consoling her. I rocked her, I tried the swing. I tried to sit, lie, stand, sway, swaddle, nurse. She quieted when I sang to her, but then when I sat down again to try to get her to sleep she began to scream again. I called my mother and she suggested I lie her in the crib for as long as I can take it to get her to calm down. I put her in the crib and she howled non stop for 15 minutes. I couldn't take it anymore and I went in and picked her up. She quieted immediately and fell asleep in my arms in about 1 minute. She slept on me for about 10 minutes and I went and put her in her crib. She slept for 20 minutes and then woke up. I got her right away and got her back to sleep in my arms and then did the tip into my bed. She laid there and stayed for 2 1/2 hours. She had cried herself to complete exhaustion. Dave was in Albany yesterday so I was stuck home all by myself having to take care of it, and at about 6ish I talked to Sarah and she asked me over. So off we went, across the street in the rain, I walked in to the house and hugged Sarah and cried. Well, it just felt so good to cry. Then I felt better and was ready to move on to the next day. She went down to bed last night pretty well, but woke up at 11:00. She wanted to nurse, which hasn't happened at that hour since she was a month old, but I fed her and she didn't want to go back to sleep. She was up until 1 am. The up again at 4, ate, up again at 7, ate, and up for good. I have been trying all the things people have been suggesting to me and it is getting so frustrating. She was such a good sleeper and I feel like we are just going backwards. Now I start work on Monday and I have no schedule and it's going to be even harder for me to get up at night when I know I have to get up for work the next day.

This morning we had our trial at Kiddie World. We got there at 9:30 and I sat with her for an hour in the room to get a feel of what it was like. I left her there alone at 10:30, and she was asleep to return in an hour. So I went and had coffee with Cara and came back at 11:30. Cariann her teacher said she slept for 20 minutes and then played a bit, bit she fussed some, too. I think she's teething. I know it's young, but she has all the symptoms. Maybe that's why the sleeping thing has been such a problem. Who knows. But the visit was nice and I still am happy for the place we chose for her. I think it will be great.

And yes, today is another day and I will try again to get her to nap well and sleep well at night. I may try putting her on her tummy to sleep tonight and see how she likes it. Right now she is asleep in her swing and looks so peaceful. Man, no matter how tired she makes me, I still love her so much - more than anything - and am so happy to have her here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor Mom! I'm so sorry you are having such a tough time with your beautiful Baby. Maybe she is anticipating the change in schedule - going to day care next week. Books and the internet say any change in schedule or stress can affect her sleep. I'm sure it'll even out soon - just hang in there, and know that you are doing a great job. Keep it up, Mommy! She loves you so much!